In 1624 Sir Francis Fane, Lord of the manor of Seend, allowed his tenants to inclose this last remaining part of the forest. 10) John Houlton held the property in 1764 and the site of the inclosure is no doubt represented by Clears Farm (now in Rowde parish). 11) Most of Seend itself, with the south-west part of Woolmore, had been cleared and farmed before 1610. 12) In the 19th century the tithings comprised the Town, Canonhold, Beanacre, Shaw and Whitley, Woolmore, Woodrow, Seend, Seend Row, and the Common and Waste Lands (divided into north and south sides). 13) Some of these were old townships owing suit of court to the foreign hundred (q.v. The urban district and Melksham Without lie in the broad flat valley of the Wiltshire Avon.
Woolmore Farm on the top of this hill (153 ft.) no doubt marks the site of the manor of that name (see below—Manors).The eastern boundary has probably been less stable for the eastern part of the parish was occupied until the 17th century by the royal forest. dating i danmark Favrskov All the tithings of Melksham with the possible exception of parts of Whitley and Shaw were probably in the forest.In the north-western parts of the parish, Shaw and Whitley are perhaps hardly less ancient centres of settlement and lie on land a little above the general level of the valley. and at a point ¼ mile north of Whitley the land rises to 195 ft.The south-western corner of the parish contains no villages or hamlets: the sparsity of population is sufficiently explained by the marshy nature of the low-lying land. The southern boundary streams are compelled to take their semicircular course to avoid the rising ground of which the parish of Seend is composed. in the centre of the parish and the village stretches along the length of its crest.
The land in the greater part of the parish comprises Oxford Clay with Kellaways beds.Seend Hill is composed of Lower Greensand; immediately north, west, and south of the village is a belt of Kimeridge Clay, widening to the south-east; to the south-west are Limestone Corallian beds. 15) The River Avon flows north to south through the parish.On the River Avon, south-west of the town, are 27 acres common to Melksham Without and Broughton Gifford. On the west the boundary between Melksham and the parishes of Broughton Gifford and Atworth is formed by an innominate stream which falls into the Avon below the disused mill on the Bradford road in Broughton Gifford parish. The boundary does not follow the stream for the last ¼ mile.The hamlet of Sandridge lies ¼ mile north of the hill.
The remaining part of the north of the rectangle is empty of habitations except for Rhotteridge Farm (fn.
Under the Local Government Act, 1894, the parish and urban district of Melksham Within and the rural parish of Melksham Without were created. 3) Parts of Melksham Without were transferred to the urban district by County Council Orders of 18; (fn.
4) and by the Wiltshire County Review Order, 1934, the urban district was extended to include one acre from Broughton Gifford and 432 acres from Melksham Without. 5) The rural parish surrounds the urban district on the north, east, and south sides. 7) accounted 12 acres as in Melksham; the river is now accepted as the boundary. 8) In the north where the rural parish adjoins the parishes of Lacock and Corsham the boundary has no doubt always been the line of Wansdyke and the Roman road. 9) All of this area on the eastern part of the northern boundary fell within the tithing of Beanacre.
No higher ground interposes between the churchyard on the south of the church and the escarpment of Salisbury Plain some 5 miles away.
Three-quarters of a mile west of the village and almost at the foot of the hill is Seend Cleeve and ½ mile farther Seend Row. Still farther west, lying close to Semington Brook, is Seend Head.